April 2, 2015

TWG Tea Lunch @ Gurney Paragon

Had a splurging lunch with my 'boss' at TWG (The Wellness Group) recently and it was very intricate indeed....

After browsing through both their set lunch and ála carte menu, my boss decided on their 3 course set lunch C (RM 45) while I opted for the Aviator set (RM 68) from their Brunch menu.

* Brunch set consists of
    • TWG Tea* from our extensive tea list.    
    • Freshly squeezed orange or apple juice.    
    • Aviator Salad      
      A grand classic with grilled chicken supreme, Romaine lettuce, garlic croutons, fresh   
      parmesan shavings topped with a poached egg and a touch of • seaweed tossed in a lightly 
      spiced sauce infused with Comptoir des Indes Tea.    
   • Choice of 2 freshly baked muffins or scones served with TWG Tea jelly and whipped cream.
   • Choice of a TWG Tea Patisserie from our selection.

Dining at TWG reminds me of Titanic - maybe owing to their shiny brass ware and exquisite colonial feel similar to the one Rose and Jack dined in lolx..


First up - our tea was served:-

My boss' Ceylon Leo tea


My Rose Bowdo tea


I wasn't able to decide on which tea to choose and the staff actually brought the tea leaves out for me to smell and see which one I fancy - not bad..

Next came my Orange Juice which was freshly squeezed and neat with no traces of ice. What an authentic OJ - it was fresh with a sourish hint which can only indicate that no sugary concoction was added.


My boss' Pumpkin Soup served with bun:-


The only comment I got from him was that this is a 'healthy' soup :P

I chose 1 muffin and 1 scone each because I really loved their scone, but this time I was disappointed to learn that their scones had become too hard :( Their chocolate muffin still tastes rich - just the way I like it. 



As usual, their TWG Tea Jelly and Whipped Cream are perfect complements of their pastry creations.



Our mains arrived, my boss' Linguini Imperial:-


After his first taste, he immediately asked for salt and pepper :P Probably this was too 'healthy' of a dish for a person who is used to strong flavors? Nonetheless I tried some of it and find it acceptable (of course not daily haha)

My main - Aviator Salad 


According to its description, this was supposed to be:-
A grand classic with grilled chicken supreme, Romaine lettuce, garlic croutons, fresh       parmesan shavings topped with a poached egg and a touch of • seaweed tossed in a lightly spiced sauce infused with Comptoir des Indes Tea.

What turned up on my table was romaine lettuce served with grilled chicken with a poached egg, missing the garlic croutons, fresh parmesan shavings as well as seaweed tossed in a lightly spiced sauce infused with tea. Hmmmm..... something not right here but I only realize this as I'm writing this post :(

My take on the salad? I could have just made it myself and it would taste better I reckon (poached egg may take me a bit more researching). The salad was too bland and the only thing I find slightly appealing was the poached egg.


For the last course of our meal, we get to choose a TWG Patisserie from their selection.

My boss' choice : Apple Crumble (ordered without thinking at all)

My choice : Raspberry Phughuri (my final decision after changing my mind once)


The apple crumble was tasty - the base not overly sweet; but I had a mixed rating for the Raspberry Phughuri though - the tart was fragrant with infused tea but the portion is too big considering the richness of the tart.

Our final verdict? While the ambiance is nice, the food quality needs to be uphold and improved to live up to the standard of TWG, consumers do pay the TWG price after all and hence expects to enjoy delicacies to the TWG standard.

TWG Tea Salon & Boutique
G10, Gurney Paragon Mall, Pesiaran Gurney, 10250, Penang.
Business Hours: 11am to 10pm. Opens Daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment