April 2, 2015

Macallum Connoisseurs Coffee Co. @ Gat Lebuh Macallum

Out of an impromptu Sunday, I told hubby that I wanted to try out someplace new for a change, so we searched for this place called Macallum Connoisseurs that was highly recommended by my friend Terry.


We drove around Gat Lebuh Macallum towards the area where the flats where but it was nowhere to be found, later on to discover that it's located right at the traffic light junction (d'uh).

Anyway, when we reached this place, we could see that the car park lots surrounding the cafe were already taken up, some even resorted to random parking. All I can say is, the parking is limited given the fact that the place is fairly huge and can easily house a lot of people but at the same time could not accommodate the amount of cars that came with it.



When I stepped into Macallum Connoisseurs, I was surprised to find it to be HUGE - this used to be a warehouse of some sort that they have converted into a roastery/cafe/academy. I would imagine this to be a great place for face-to-face social networking (yeah not the ones you do online); gossiping; sales-doing, etc etc. 


Just where we were seated, we could see a bunch of 10 uni-goers having gathering and playing cards.

As we were not very hungry, we just ordered some light items and also something that our daughter could (or should I say would) eat.

Good 'ol Bagel - Cream Cheese (RM 7)


I find the bagel just to be average, so was the cream cheese; but we were happy because our daughter ate it :)

Meatball Bolognese - Pork (RM 16)


When this was served - I just stared at it wondering why the ratio of pasta vs. meatball was so far off? There were a total of 5 meatballs only, but plenty of pasta to stuff you no worries. The pasta looked alright but tasted weird - maybe due to too much cheese, I could easily cook a better one myself. But the meatballs were relatively good though (but there were only 5 of them, remember???)

Let's move on to our drinks - hubby's Choc Chip Frappe (RM 15). Given its Starbucks price, I guess this passed? I still think it's too expensive though it tasted good nonetheless.


As I had cough that time, I ordered Hot Chocolate (RM 10) - seriously? 10 bucks for hot chocolate? Now this one's a total rip off - totally not worth the price as the hot chocolate was just so-so.


A few things to note about this place is, it is self-service - meaning you have to order and pay at the counter but they will have your food and drinks served to you (hence no service tax charged on their receipt).

Another thing is, mosquitoes are quite active within the cafe due to its location so those who are bringing infants or toddlers will need to take note. Even adults need to be aware of this.

All in all, it is not likely that I will make a return anytime soon, unless it is to try out their signature Smoked Duck which everyone is raving about.

Macallum Connoisseurs
1 Gat Lebuh Macallum, 10300 George Town, Penang
Business Hours : 9:00am - 12:00am daily

No comments:

Post a Comment